Decking paint products are a relatively new edition to traditional decking treatments such as decking oils and decking stains. Whereas decking oils and stains are all about retaining the natural appearance of the wood grain, decking paints are designed to give a different type of appearance.
Decking paints come in a range of trendy, opaque colours and are ideal for old decking that has perhaps turned grey or silver over time. They’re also great for a quick revamp of an old deck if a major restoration is out of the question due to time or budget restraints. A popular decking paint is Ronseal Decking Rescue Paint which is suitable for use on ridged and smooth, softwood and hardwood decking.
Benefits of decking rescue paint
- Resistant to foot traffic and weathering
- Available in a range of attractive, opaque colours
- Quick and easy to apply
- Provides long lasting protection and colour
- Quick drying – Usually rainproof in just a couple of hours
- Is a quick fix solution to improve the look of old, grey decking
How to apply decking paint
As with any project, preperation is key for a successful outcome. Follow these steps to transform old tired decking into an area that has colour and character
Decked areas to be painted should be clean, dry and free from surface dirt, grit and other surface contaminates.
- Remove all garden furniture, storage or other items from the decking so that the surface to be treated is clear
- Remove any old areas of decking stain or paint that have started to crack, peel or flake with a jet washer or decking stripper or remover
- Areas affected with mould, algae or fungi should be cleaned with a scraper, stiff broom or brush to remove all surface matter
- Areas affected by mould,algae and other biological growth should then be treated with a mould and mildew cleaner. This is to kill off any remaining spores in the wood timber and helps to prevent re-growth
- If required, use a wood preservative but one that doesn’t contain wax, oil or silicon
- Paint the decking boards with the decking paint working the full length of 2 to 3 boards at a time
- Allow the first coat to dry for the specified drying time
- Apply a second coat as directed on the tin
Please note: Decking Paint may not be suitable for decking that has been oiled or treated with a product that contains wax in the last 12 to 24 months.